Copy of Letter to Southsoft

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:50:08 +0100

On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 11:13:39 -0400, John Swartzentruber wrote:

>I just thought of another PMMail problem that frequently bugs me.
>Sometimes I accidentally open a New Message window or decide not to
>write a message after all. When I close the window, I'm always prompted
>for whether I want to close the window.
>
>I know there is an option that I could turn off the prompt, but I want
>to be prompted if I have actually typed something. I would like the see
>the program either always ignore empty messages and just close the
>window, or else have two options for the prompts (empty
>messages/non-empty messages).

Personally, I think that you need to be careful about creeping
featureitis. This is a simple thing as far as I can see, you have to
balance how annoying it is to lose some typing against how irritating
you find it to have to click OK when you try to close a compose window
that you *haven't* typed in. I know which option I prefer, I turn off
all warnings except for those relating to folders and accounts. I don't
delete those often (I just create more all the time...)

We all need to accept some responsibility for our actions, I deleted
quite a few Linux rpms this morning, mainly 'cos I hit delete before I
noticed that the icon with focus was not the one I thought it was. Just
have to d/l again if I need them in the future I 'spose. But I'm not
bitching, on an annoyance scale of 1 to 10, that rates about 1.02.

 'The village populace is jumpin' on faces, catchin' the javelin,
 Headin' the shot.' [FX: wet thud - "Oooo.."]