PMMail Update Plans II - Response

Jonathan B. Bayer pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:04:46 -0400

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:34:59 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>>>Well, I'm even willing to compromise with myself on this one and change
>>>my suggestion to counting in 10 second increments instead of minutes.
>>>That way, a count of 30,000 would translate into approx 3.5 days and
>>>you could still check your mail every 30 seconds.
>> I have no idea if it's possible - but why not have two settings. One
>> for value, and one for minutes or seconds (or hours, days - whatever)
>
>    I dunno if it is.  IIRC Bob said that how he achieved the delay was to
>open another thread which sent an alarm to the main thread in x seconds which,
>when it gets that alarm, opens a fetch thread.
>
>    The the alarm function is from the Windows API and the only resolution it
>has is in seconds it limits what Southsoft can do in terms of timing.

Well, that is totally bogus.  While a single call to the alarm function
may be limited to a short int (32767), there is nothing to prevent them
from putting in a simple loop to call the alarm function multiple
times.  This is something a first year programmer student can do with
his/her eyes shut.

The C code for this would be something like:

Where: sec = total number of seconds to wait

    // Thread is started already

     min = sec / 60;
     for (x = 0; x <= min; x++)
    {
        if (sec < 60)
            DosSleep(sec);
        else
            DosSleep(60);
        sec = sec - 60;
    }
    // Now send the signal or message to the main thread

This is trivial.

JBB

- --
ICQ # 44910403
Power Listviewer URL:   http://www.bigfoot.com/~PowerListviewer
PMMail Archiver URL:    http://www.bigfoot.com/~Jonathan_Bayer/archiver

For PGP Public key block/Fingerprint send the following message to me as the Subject:
        Send PGP Signature