Death Knell for OS/2 Client

Bill Wood pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 06:41:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999 09:03:14 +0200 (MSZ), Heinz Mueller
wrote:

A lot of stuff.

>On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 23:37:15 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>
>A lot of stuff.

=================

Well, let's see. The only enlightenment I can find in
all this is that IBM turned down Stardock because the
move was not in accord with some strategic plan or
other. That, my friends, could mean anything. I've
worked in big, semi-dysfunctional bureaucracies, like
IBM, before (recent NASA) and if you think there is
some sentient entity steering the ship, then I have for
you this bridge for sale.

I can assure you that all decisions are political - ie,
whose kingdom wins, whose loses, and that's
situational. There is no long range script being
followed except one that is reconsidered at every major
decision point by everybody. The decision apparatus is
a Type II servo that has the default to coast along the
same path as before. It is change that requires action.
What can force the change? Dire financial realities or
leadership from the top. Both seem lacking right now at
IBM. May God help the poor engineers.

My advice? If you like OS2 and the way it is being
supported *right now* then use it. Otherwise, use what
you think is better. Or use several, like me. But this
endless speculation? - granted it can be entertaining
.. . No. There is an alternative, - wait and see. And
meanwhile, go on about your business, but please,
quietly.

:o|

How about them Gators?

w3