Death Knell for OS/2 Client

Darin McBride pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 15:14:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:54:52 +0100, David Gaskill wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Sep 1999 09:38:30 -0400 (EDT), Darin McBride wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>Darin,
>
>Thanks for an interesting and informative post.

You're probably the first to say that about anything I've written.  ;->

>>Minor detail, but OS/2's scheduled end of service is March 2002 ... for
>>WSeb.  Warp 4 is sometime in 2001.
>
>I would be grateful if you would satisfy my curiosity on two points ; exactly what do IBM mean
>by mean by   "scheduled end of service" and what is "Wseb"?

WSeb: Warp Server for e-business, which, while under development, went
by the codename "Aurora".
Scheduled end of service: when fixpaks will stop being provided, and,
short of a large contract specifying otherwise, when other normal
support mechanisms will no longer be provided.

>I reluctantly abandoned OS/2 a couple of years ago but I find this discussion very interesting
>and, as Steve  has pointed out in another post, not at all "off topic" as the vast majority of those
>that used PMmail do so on OS/2.

I'm still MS-free here.  Three computers - one running a DOS router,
one running OS/2, one running Redhat 6.0.  MAYBE if I get another
machine, I'll put the latest bug offering from MS.  But not until then.