PGP Selection and Info

Ralph Sanford pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:48:02 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:10:34 -0700 (PDT), Bill Wood wrote:

>How about some PMMail business.
>
>What is the best version/source for OS2 PGP to work w/
>PMMail?  What are the main considerations? Good site(s)
>for info? I'd appreciate the advice/help.
>
>Maybe I could use the same kind of info for Windows
>PMMail as well.

For OS/2 I would recommend that you get a copy of PGP 5.0 from
www.openpgp.net.  There was a major change in the program as of version
5.0 and later versions.  Versions 2.6.3 and earlier cannot decipher keys
generated from versions 5.0 and later (this means version 2.6.? cannot
read messages encrypted using a key from newer version).  PGP 5.0 can be
setup to be backwards compatible and still handle the newest versions of
PGP.  The only source of PGP 5.0 for OS/2 that I am aware of is
openpgp.net.   As an American resident (by your address) you will need to
use the North American version 5.0 not the international version 5.0i.

Install PGP 5.0 and EMXRT (needed to run PGP for OS/2) as per the
instructions, make the adjustments to your LIBPATH, PATH, and PGPPATH,
reboot and you are set.  Generate a set of keys and save the secring,
pubring, and randseed files to a floppy. Remove that floppy, insert a
second floppy and generate a Key Revocation Certificate. Copy the revoked
secring and pubring files to the second floppy, reinstall the first
floppy and restore the original unrevoked secring and pubring. The second
floppy with the revocation certificate needs to stored very securely and
is to be saved for the time when you need to revoke a key and have
forgotten the pass-phrase.

Point the security settings in PMMail to your PGP directory and you are
ready.  PGP support is included in PMMail/2 and is essentially seamless,
assuming that you set your passphrase to remain for the duration of a
session.

To use PGP in Windows you will need to get a copy of PGP for your flavour
of Windows.  Try pgp.rivertown.net or Network Associates the current
owners of PGP.  When installing windows PGP point it towards your already
generated randseed, secring and pubring files.

To use PGP seamlessly with PMMail 98 you need to use PMMail 98
Professional.  PMMail Professional includes a copy of PGP SDK 1.0, so you
may not need get a windows version of PGP.  The only people I know who
use PMMail Pro already had a copy of PGP installed prior to installing
PMMail so I cannot tell you if PGP SDK 1.0 is better or worse than the
regular versions.

My biggest gripe about using PGP in PMMail is that PMMail/2 cannot
encrypt attachments nor can it decrypt messages that have encrypted
attachments, but PMMail 98 can.

HTH

Ralph Sanford        -        If your government does not trust you,
rsanford@telusplanet.net    -    should you trust your government?

For my public PGP key send email with subject: "Send_PGP_Key"
RSA Key  -  0x434B4825                     DH/DSS Key  -  0x7A1BEA01