SMTP Not Working

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:31:44 +0100

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:28:06 -0700, Paul Dhuse wrote:

>I used IBM sendmail on a LAN at work (Lockheed - big place) for quite a
>while, because I didn't want to have to change to Microsoft Exchange.
>
>It worked just fine, but that had the machine on the network all the
>time.  How it might work with dial up, I couldn't say.

What I do is to run it minimised in daemon mode using the -bd option,
but not supplying a -q parameter so it doesn't try to run the queue at
regular intervals (unless you like big log files that is). Then after
connection, my dial up scripts call sendmail -q to run the queue
immediately and send out everything in the queue.

Works just fine, it's been going like this for over five years now.

 'The village populace is jumpin' on faces, catchin' the javelin,
 Headin' the shot.' [FX: wet thud - "Oooo.."]