SMTP Not Working

Dave Serls pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 08:34:31 -0600

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:32:11 -0500 (CDT), John Thompson wrote:

>On Fri,>Although OS/2 sendmail is an IBM hack, it does follow the Unix sendmail
>fairly closely; close enough, in fact, that any arcane knowlege of Unix
>sendmail.cf will stand you in good stead when setting up OS/2 sendmail.
>
>But the sendmail that ships with OS/2 is pretty old and does not include
>the anti-relaying spam protection and other security fixes the the newer
>Unix versions have. This probably isn't a big concern for dial-up users,

  I used OS/2 sendmail 2.02 for about a year and a half, as my MTA, while online
  to a dialup ISP.  When offline, a secondary MX record would cause delivery to
  a 'domain-wide' POP box at the ISP.  This arrangement worked wonderfully, but eventually,
  longer online sessions proved vulnerable to occasional relay attempts, not from commercial
  SPAMMers, as far as I could tell.   For the POP box, I hacked a version of souper.exe to
  download the contents and divine the recipient user-id from the prime 'Received:' line,
  much as 'fetchmail' does on Unix systems.
  Both the souper hack and sendmail used the same local delivery agent, a modification
  of Niel Kempson's 'deliver.exe'.  Then, locally, I used Yuri Dario's WPOP3S PM POP server
  to provide the 'last mile' to PMMail.

  Source and binaries for the 'souper' and 'deliver' agents are available if anyone is interested.
  The POP server is/was shareware...

  Cheers,

  Dave

*     Dave Serls                               serls@dashs.denver.co.us           *