TimeZone

Dave Liquorice pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 02 Apr 2000 20:26:33 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 02 Apr 2000 08:17:12 -0300 (ADT), Trevor Smith wrote:

> You know, I'm not sure I saw precisely correct behaviour here.

Did you stop and restart PM Mail each side of the change over time? It
doesn't pickup any change until it is stopped and restarted.

> It appears to me that PMMail/2 believes that I switched to DST
> yesterday instead of this morning.

It does look like it has gone a day early. Someone has already pointed
out the very useful utility TZCalc, it's probably on hobbes in
/pub/os2/util/system. This will verify that you have the correct TZ
enviroment string set. BTW, do not trust the built in zones, it gets the
UK wrong. It calls our winter time "BST" should be "GMT" (Greenwhich
Mean Time) and our summer time "BDT" should be "BST" (British Summer
Time). I think the times of transistion are wrong as well but don't
quote me on that.

It is far better to plug your own, known to be correct, values into it
and get the string thus generated.

> (It also appears that it thinks GMT has no DST since I'm now only 3
> hrs back instead of 4. Is that correct?)

Yes. GMT is GMT it does not move. In fact one could argue that no time
(GMT, BST, EST etc) moves it's just that us humans hop use a different
one at different times of year.

> Can anyone comment on whether PMMail/2, my SET TZ statement

If we knew what it was we might be able to comment. It is normal for the
transition to happen in the early hours of a Sunday morning.

Cheers
Dave.