TimeZone

Bill Wood pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 02 Apr 2000 15:48:21 -0800 (PST)

Here's something to think about.

My TZ environment variable is simply

SET TZ=PST8PDT

I use the TIME868 program to synchronize my time-of-day clock
using NIST, Boulder.

This morning, TIME868 knew to set my clock correctly to PDT. I
don't know how it knew. I wonder if, somehow, NIST told it to
change.

It takes a few seconds to use TIME868 and the inaccuracy is
perhaps <100 ms. I use it every few days. I use the UDP
protocol because it has less latency than TCP/IP (for this
special case).

All my professional life I have had a least one foot in the
instrumentation world and that means I'm a professional user of
time.  The 'standard' time for that world is IRIG B format,
kept in UT2, and, with GPS sychronization, it is good to a few
us. If that's not good enough, we use flying clocks.

The TOD clock on my OS2 desktop is set and reads out in local
TZ time and I find that convenient and agreeable.

w3

Bill Wood
Las Vegas, NV
wwwood@lv.rmci.net