Hangs at "Getting number of messages..."

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 13:21:33 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 11:47:40 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>I have asked for a fix for this repeatedly but never got one, I'm
>hoping that BSW will fix it but in the past I was told that BoB and Ike
>could never recreate the failure and thus didn't believe it was a real
>bug. It has affected me since some of the early PMMail 2.0 betas, but
>has definitely got worse, probably as my mail spool has increased in
>size.
I've only ever used POP, and I expect most other users are in
this position.

Since something else (sendmail?) receives your email and places
into a local directory, and you have email messages that apparently
cause your problems to occur, there *should* be no difficulty in
others reproducing this problem.

If you are able to do a virgin installion of PMmail (maybe on a 2nd
machine), populate the appropriate directory with mail messages that
are expected to cause problems, and see if the problems persist.
If they do, you should then be in a very strong position to argue
your case with Blueprint that the problem is reproducable and
must be fixed.

If you cannot reproduce your problems this way, then it's unlikely
that blueprint will be able to as well, making it unlikely that they
will be able to provide a fix.

One encouraging thing is that the problem appears to be
"self-contained" within your pmmail installation and email
dir, and is not related to interactions with a remote mail
server, so a zipped up pmmail and email dir from your machine
*may* allow blueprint to investigate.

Simon