PGP: sequencing messages

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:55:51 -0700

Wednesday, April 05, 2000, 10:38:58 AM, Trevor wrote:
>>    No, it is not, it is failing to generate a MSGID on its own as it should.

> :-) Now you're playing the word game. First you said PMMail "can"
> generate IDs, now you suddenly conclude that it "should".

    No, I am addressing two different points.

1: It was said that, according to RFCs, it is the server that generates MSGID.
I refuted that by pointing out that according to RFC822 the MUA legally can.

2: I then stressed that nearly all other similar products across three
different networks, all of which employ MSGIDs, have historically had the user
agent, not the transport agent, assign a MSGID and that PMMail was not falling
in line with this established behavior as it should.

    IE, let's take a different case.  If PMMail didn't quote with the > string
and didn't provide any means to force it to do so people would consider that a
bug even though the > quoting is not an official standard.  It is simply what
has become common practice and convention over the past decade or two.

> I agree that it would be convenient for those who want to see the
> message ID in their outbox. Otherwise I can't think of any argument
> why it "should" do it, since it's obviously taken care of by SMTP
> servers if PMMail/2 neglects to do it.

    Just as some SMTP servers take care of the DATE header if the MUA doesn't
even though this /is/ a required header (one of the 3 minimum headers for a
basic message.  DATE, FROM and TO/BCC).

> OK, I don't know that it's the SMTP server but since PMMail/2
> apparently doesn't assign message IDs when it originally sends
> messages, I assume it's not PMMail/2 assigning the Resent-Message-ID
> when it bounces it. This is what happens:

> I send a message with PMMail/2. I receive the message in PMMail/2,
> and it has this message ID:

> I then bounce the received message with PMMail/2 and receive it
> again. The message now has these two lines in it:

> Subsequent bounces and receives in PMMail/2 do not add any more lines
> with the word "message" in them.

    So... what does the copy in your sent-mail folder contain?