PGP: sequencing messages

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:11:47 -0300 (ADT)

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 18:59:40 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>Steve is right! You misread the rfc - it's the host where
>the message originates that gereates the id, which is your PC!

To quote again from what Steven posted:

  The uniqueness of the message identifier is guaranteed by the host
  which generates it.

This does not say, "the host which creates the message must generate
the id." It says, "the message id's uniqueness must be guaranteed by
the host that creates the message id."

Unless I'm misunderstanding the English.

In other words, it doesn't indicate who must create the ID, it
indicates who must guarantee the uniqueness of the ID.

Possibly some other part of the RFC comments on what machine *should*
or *must* create the ID, but this part of the RFC does not.

>The client should generate the id, and it's no harder for the client to
>generate a "quasi-unqiue" id, than the server it talks to!
>Neither can "know" the id's unique.

I agree it seems that it would be no harder for PMMail/2 to do this.
I still hesitate to use the word "should" but I will concede that it
seems very possible and obviously preferable to those involved in
this discussion.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6