Re[4]: Life after PMMail

Steve Marvin pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 08 Apr 2000 15:12:17 -0400

On Sat, 08 Apr 2000 14:38:44 -0400 (EDT), Ralph Cohen wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Apr 2000 09:00:51 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:
>

>>It would also be useful if all the .sigs where kept in the same
>>directory. As something simple like a phone number change is a PITA to
>>do. You either have to use the inbulit editor on each .sig or find the
>>files scattered about the place. If they where all in one directory it
>>would be simple to grep/rexx a search and replace.
>
>I'm not sure I understand.  On my system, each account's sig files are
>kept in a single directory in the format: SIG1.TXT, SIG2.TXT. SIG3.TXT,
>etc.  These files are located in the PMMAIL/accountname/SIGS
>subdirectory.

This has been discussed before, but what he is asking for is global
signatures for all accounts in one directory (eg PMMAIL\sigs).

You can implement this with two rexx scripts.

  One executes on startup and reads all sig files in the common
  directory and overwrites the sig.list file in each account
  with filespecs pointing to the global directory.

  The exit file reads the sig.list file in each account and
  copies new sigs and updated ones from the account sig directory
  to the common directory.

This leaves the account/sigs directory with just a list file.