Message IDs (was Re: PGP: sequencing messages)

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:22:44 -0300 (ADT)

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:16:28 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>Consider a message that I send (but not in-reply-to anything),
>how are incoming messages going to get threaded off it (if
>PMMail doesn't invent/know the original message id, the
>in-reply-to's from the incoming messages can't be matched)?

I did think of this but since I'm playing the devil's advocate, I
didn't want to do your job for you. :-)

How about this: Subject line. Your message's subject is "Some
subject". All incoming messages might have "re: some subject".

This is weak, I know. The ideal solution is to have PMMail/2 generate
its own message-ids.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6