E-mail that crashes PMMail 2000

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:43:25 -0700

Wednesday, April 12, 2000, 9:31:18 AM, Simon wrote:
> Note that the message (as forwarded to me) did not resemble
> valid HTML format (though the mime type claimed it was)!

> It began:

> IpVecIpV="ct%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2F326841526%2Findex.html@

> Which is not a good way of starting an HTML page - not
> valid HTML, even by MS's mis-standards!!

    *cough*  You do know what a URL is and, by extension, what URL encoding
is, right?  URL encoding is when you take all non-valid characters for a URL
and encode them into their corresponding HEX values and prepend a %.  So the
above, would read, "ct=http://326841526/index.html@"

    As odd as it might seem, http://326841526/index.html not only works, but
is legal after a fashion.  It may not be what you're used to, but in theory,
it should work.  The problem is all of the encoding is screwing it up.  To
state, though, that it isn't valid isn't the best choice.  It may not be well
used, it may be a mangling of standards, but it is somewhat valid.