E-mail that crashes PMMail 2000

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:46:16 +0100

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:26:47 -0400 (EDT), Bruce Francis wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:56:05 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:38:46 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:
>>
>>>...and because it's screwed up, it is no longer valid HTML!
>>
>>Which is probably why PMMail falls over because the HTML engine sees
>>garbage and falls over rather than reporting invalid html.
>
>Don't understand why the OS/2 version, with limited HTML support
>if any (translates HTML to txt, that's all) blows up with a SYS3175 on
>this message.
>
>In any event, the client shouldn't terminate on any /content/ (good or bad),
>like it does with this message.

No it shouldn't, but I expect that the coding was not done with the
expectation of receiving something this mangled, they probably didn't
validate the input before acting on it. There are many cases where
PMMail/2 and PMMail 2000 Pro suddenly vanish with no clear reason.
PMMail 2000 Pro sometimes crashes when I try to read a newly arrived
message. The illegal instruction (or whatever it is) dialog box comes
up, I hit cancel, the dialog box reappears and won't go away no matter
how many times I click it. A reboot is needed to cure this.

I think that a tightening up of all the coding is needed, particularly
since we all hope to see the feature set enhanced, it will be no use
without care in ensuring that the basic decoding engines are working
correctly.

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails