Have they given up?

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 06:25:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:17:38 -0700, Dave in Phoenix AZ wrote:

>Gave up on 0S/2 years ago since needed so many Win32 programs.  But I
>certainly agree Win98 latest is very unstable, still based on the old DOS

So you downgraded to a inferior product.

>kernal.   I wish OS/2 had been better maintained for non enterprise clients.
>When it ran old Win3.1 programs better than Windows was great, but just
>needed more program flexibility with later Windows.

IBM could have accomplished your stated desire except 1. Microsoft
breached their alliance with IBM when they were not allowed to be in
control  2. Microsoft changed the APIs to break compatibility and used
their knowledge from the alliance to produce their own 32bit o/s. 3. IBM
as well as third party companies had had the flexibility to support more
than one o/s.

Billy has never produced a innovative unique superior product.
(Windows=Apple; IE=Netscape; Win97=OS2) He has been a master of strategic
marketing. IBM did for awhile aggressively market the client version of
OS2. When faced with increased royalties to Microsoft (for other products
because Microsoft didn't like the competition), IBM made a business
decision to pursue only the enterprise version. Third  party companies
were forced by contract to not support other o/s without losing access to
Microsoft products (or pay increased royalties). They also had to pay
royalties on Microsoft products that were never installed.

Microsoft claims to support innovation but it is innovation that Microsoft
controls or has a profit share in. In the fast paced world of technology,
I believe every company should get a limited copyright on an innovation.
Then it should be fair game for anyone.
--
/s/~Kris <norseman@humboldt1.com>