Have they given up?

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:00:37 +0100

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 07:38:12 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>OS/2 was never an option to be
>installed on IBMs own personal and laptop computer.  IBM constantly blocked
>things which would help OS/2.  The more paranoid OS/2 users would basically
>say that IBM has done its damned best to kill OS/2.

Sorry Steve, don't agree.

OS/2 was an option for preload on many IBM machines up to about 1996 or
so. Yes, they did start to block things that would have helped OS/2,
that was because of the constant internal fight between the PC Co and
PSP. PC Co wanted an all Windows shop, hated OS/2 because they saw it
as a distraction from selling PC hardware, their primary mission, and
they were smarting from losing out to the clones in the late '80s. PSP
wanted (and still does) to support OS/2, but did not (and does not)
have the internal political muscle to achieve this effectively.

Gerstner doesn't care, he just wants lots of $ on the bottom line.

You're right on one thing above, nowadays IBM would love to kill OS/2,
but their customers don't want them to. Sadly, these customers are
faceless corporations rather than individual users. What we have in
common is that we chose our OS, unlike the vast majority of Windows
users.

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails