Have they given up?

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:01:34 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:17:13 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    And to continue the thread that IBM wants to kill OS/2:
>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/04/12/2312251&mode=thread

What's the "unfortunate news, I wonder"?  The fact that there isn't
a product called a "warp 5 client", or the fact that warp 4 is
being improved with a new kernel, improvements, new function and
bug fixes by way of "pay-for" convenience packs?

I don't understand how this contributes to IBMs desires to kill-off
or not to kill-off OS/2, or what's supposed to be unfortunate.

You also slagged off IBMs "support" for OS/2 - IBM have been selling
OS/2 since about 1989, and about 3 years ago, after having given up
the battle with MS for the desktop, Lou Gerstner publicly promised
to support it for another 10 years - 17 years worth of support
for an operating system that never fullfilled its sales targets
and probably never made a profit is pretty good in my book.

I can't think of any other PC OS supplier that makes such commitments
to it's customers, I call that "support".

Saw this today in comp.os.os2.bugs:

>Subject: Standing Ovation for IBM'ers, and for IBM OS/2 support and
>commitment
>
>As I read the minor problems and the fixes posted from IBM'ers I just
>want to say a big THANK YOU!.   Now I know how far all of you go with
>OS/2.  I am a very satisfied OS/2 user from v3 and I am eager for v5
>(hope the rumour is true).  You guys develop one of the best OS ever
>developed. Hopefully this OS could gain more recognition now that MS
>has been found guilty.
>
>Edfel Rivera

Here here!

Simon ;-)