E-mail that crashes PMMail 2000

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 18:50:28 -0300 (ADT)

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:54:18 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    PMMail's core group consists mostly of old time OS/2ers.  Some have moved
>on, some have not, but there generally is one common thread for them all.
>They're about as rabid as a pack of Amiga users at the scent of a possible
>release of their beloved product.  PMMail, to many, is held at that same
>level.

FWIW, I'm in this group too. I was actually reading the news about an
imminent release of a new product called PMMail 1.0 some weeks before
it arrived and drooling with anticipation. I had just installed Warp
3 and found Ultimail Lite to be a bit heavy for my 8 meg of RAM. In
the interim I was using Eudora for Win3.x but I didn't like the
overhead of Win-OS/2 in my 8 meg of RAM much more than Eudora.

Then that wonderful man, Bob, released PMMail 1.0 and the world was
finally good. :-) I downloaded and registered within a month or two.
And I was *BROKE* at the time!

>    As for BSW being just a handful of people, you must remember something
>that we all know.  PMMail, until about a year ago, was programmed at a faster
>pace and had at least equal support in public forums such as this by *2*
>people alone.  Telling us you've got a handful of people tells us that you
>have /more/ than 2 people and, according to our math, that means things should
>be happening now, not two minor releases in just under a year which is
>Southsoft's speed with 2 people.  ;)

:-) You and I could write a piece of software and update it
furiously. But if you and I had our fervour for coding decrease
somewhat because we were distracted by, oh, let's say, new job
opportunities, and then we started spending more time thinking about
selling our software to someone instead of actually writing new code
and that someone we finally sold our product to kept coming to us for
fixes and we tried our best but our new responsibilities kept us from
coding at our previous furious pace and the new owners had to find
someone to fill our shoes and that someone couldn't possibly have our
familiarity with the code we had written so he or she had to spend
months getting up to speed and assessing what direction things should
go in and...

Get my point? :-)

We know things are currently going more slowly than when Bob and Icon
were up to their elbows in their own code. We are doing our best to
improve the product both in ways that you, the customers can
appreciate, and in ways that will make future "furious-paced" coding
possible.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6