Have they given up?

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:29:21 -0700

Sunday, April 16, 2000, 3:25:39 PM, Trevor wrote:
> Shrug. Whatever, it works on my OS/2 system. If some
> WIndows/DOS/LINUX developer writes a program that stores some
> directory name in a text file somewhere instead of using the "OS/2
> way" so OS/2 can automagically keep track of things, it's not OS/2's
> fault.

    We're talking the base OS here, Trevor, not ISV stuff.  Open config.sys
and you'll see a slew of drive letters for the base OS.  That /IS/ OS/2's
fault.

> This is irrelevant to my example. Stick /mnt/win/data in an init file
> somewhere, then drag and drop the program from /mnt/win/data to
> /mnt/win/data2. In linux does the program continue to work? In OS/2
> it does (assuming it's not some DOS port).

    It doesn't in OS/2, either.  That was for a grand majority of the
programs, including base OS/2 programs.

    Also it is relevant since the biggest reason to move data for most people
is drive space.  So it would be d:\data to e:\data.  For me I just add another
drive, mount it in, split up the data and everything remains in the same path.
IE, there is less of a reason to move things around in the first place.