PGP 5.0i and OS/2

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:00:14 -0300 (ADT)

In testing the Vcard oddities, I found a small problem (or so I
thought) with PGP 5.0i for OS/2:

- PGP 5.0i for OS/2

- more than one key with the same user id (i.e. "Trevor Smith
<trevor@haligonian.com>")

- the key I want to extract is *not* the first in the keyring

This is a known shortcoming of PMMail/2; you can't choose to encrypt
or sign a message with an RSA key, for example, if a DH/DSS key of
the same user id exists in the keyring first.

However, it seems that it is not actually possible *at all* with PGP
5.0i for OS/2 to extract any but the first public key with a certain
user id, if more than one keys with that user id exist in a keyring
(for example, if you have an RSA and a DH/DSS key with the same user
id).

The thing is, I am sure I have done this in the past, but now I am
unable to succeed no matter what I try. The explicit examples in the
documentation for PGP 5.0i for OS/2 flat out do not work. They return
*only* the first key with the specified user id in the keyring --
just like PMMail/2.

I have tried

  pgpk -xa trevor

(I have 3 keys with 'trevor' in their user ids in my keyring) and it
simply does not ask me which key I want, it just provides the first
it finds.

Does anyone know how to do this? Is it really a failing of PMMail/2,
as I had always thought, or is it in fact a limitation/bug of PGP
5.0i for OS/2?

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6