PGP problems

David Gaskill pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 18:50:40 +0100

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:27:45 -0300, Trevor Smith wrote:

>Like you alluded to, everyone should use PGP, but no
>one does. I believe this is because it is very complicated to
>understand.

I believe that most people don't use PGP simpler because it is
unnecessaryand not because it is difficult.

I conduct a large proportion of my business over the Internet. I receive
and send large numbers of e-mails. If anybody bothered to hack my
mailbox most of the stuff would be completely meaningless to them. The
hacker would be in danger of expiring from boredom before he had read
very far.

As a project consultant my mail is probably more diverse than most but 99
per cent of it would be incomprehensible to a third party.

It may of course be that most of the members of this list are senior
government  officials in sensitive posts or are able to cause the world's
markets to plunge by merely touching a keyboard but my correspondance
is so boring that many people might pay not to read my e-mails...

I can't think of any other reason for your suggestion that everybody
should use PGP

David

David