PGP problems

David Gaskill pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 20:23:43 +0100

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:08:17 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>Is all your postal correspondence by post card? Do you close the
>curtains while undressing? Do you close the door when using the
>lavatory? Do you wear clothes in the street?
>
>PGP is no different from those examples, just because it doesn't matter
>to you that people *could* read your mail doesn't mean that they
>*should be able* to.

My eyes have been opened ...

I was just about to send an e-mail to my dentist to arrange an
appointment and but I have now thought better of it; a hacker might be
able to read it. If he could then he shouldn't be able to so I will phone the
dentist instead.

Bad idea. It only takes a a pair of crocodile clips and a headset and that's
much easier than hacking my mailbox. I must get a scrambler but even if
I could persuade my dentist to do the same this would almost certainly
result in his already exorbitant fees getting even higher.

I will write him a letter - but wait a minute, steaming open envelopes  is
even easier than hacking my mailbox or tapping my phone line - must
remember "if he could he shouldn't be able to".

Nothing for it, just have to go round there and make the appointment in
person. Oh hell, it would be even easier than hacking my mailbox, tapping
my phone or opening my letters to  install a bug in the receptionists
office ...

Just  have to let my teeth rot.

Me, paranoid?

Nah..