Stupid privacy pissing match, was:Re: PGP problems

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 13:12:09 -0300

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 08:24:45 -0400 (EDT), Skip Huffman wrote:

> Now what if I want to pass on some private financial
>information to my wife, say tell her that the ATM is reporting
>our account as drained.  I don't paticularly want to share that
>with my coworkers, it is none of there business, and certainly
>not with the IS embezzlement hunters, so we send PGP encrypted

Exactly.

And if you *never* use PGP, then suddenly use PGP once a month when
you have something private to say, what would happen at the "IS
embezzlement hunting department"? Sirens, bells, whistles, etc. They
would start watching you like a hawk, assume you were doing something
illegal, etc.

Does everyone now understand why it is a Good Idea to encrypt *all*
messages?

No, it's not life an death, it would just be better. Period.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor