PGP problems

Alexander Sarras pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 20:14:24 +0200 (CDT)

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 09:13:01 +0200 (CDT), Winfried Tilanus wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 18:50:40 +0100, David Gaskill wrote:
>
> >It may of course be that most of the members of this list are senior
> >government  officials in sensitive posts or are able to cause the worlds
> >markets to plunge by merely touching a keyboard but my correspondence
> >is so boring that many people might pay not to read my e-mails...
> >
> >I can't think of any other reason for your suggestion that everybody
> >should use PGP
>
> Maybe not _everyone_, but far too little people that should use it, use
> it. My girlfriend, for example, works in clinical research. She is
> right on top of pile of corporate secrets and sensitive information
> about patients. Her company doesn't use PGP at all.
>
> Do those government officials in sensitive posts use PGP? Do they have
> any idea that only the fact that they start encrypting their mail to
> person X of Y might indicate that there is something going on between
> them two? You can draw that conclusion, even when you can not decrypt
> the mail, only by observing wether they send each other encrypted mail
> or not.
>
> The problem with e-mail is that everybody should assume that all the
> network traffic is monitored by an untrusted party. So, if your
> information might be interesting for somebody, take your measurements.

There's maybe 1 message formeach 100 I send which should be kept
confidential (or more). So all those messages go through PGP (those where I
know that the recipien is using PGP, too, get encrypted, the rest just
signed. You'd never know which is the interesting one...

SaS
--
       Dr. Alexander Sarras         |     * Trouble * IS my middle name!
  www.sarras.at     mail@sarras.at  |           The TroubleShooter