I have a horrid suspicion...

Joachim F. Selinger pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 09:08:24 +0200 (MEST)

Hi David!

On  3 Aug, David Gaskill wrote:
> My main ISP, through whom I am sending this posting, has just
> changed the configuration of his servers so that when I dial in
> through another ISP I can no longer use his SMTP server unless I
> use an authorisation procedure.
>
> This is explained, (if that is the right word because I certainly don't
> understand it), at
>
> http://www.roam.u-net.net/asmtp/
>
> This page explains how to achieve the necessary authorisation on
> mail clients such as Outlook Express.
>
> I have a horrid suspicion that PMMail is not capable of doing what is
> necessary.
>
> Am I right?

You probably are.

Try to persuade your ISP to allow SMTP after POP, i.e. they allow to send
via SMTP from any IP address for about let's say 30 minutes after a valid
POP3 access from just that address. We (I'm part of a 'hobby' ISP) just do
that and it's indepentant of any mail client, you just have to fetch mail
before you send the new ones out.

This is TMK a standard procedure and supportet by all (?) mail severs.

Good luck!

Jocki
--
Joachim F. Selinger        /  \ /  \/\ /\/  \              ___