PGP problems

xavier caballe pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 04 Aug 2000 20:51:22 +0200

>    Remember, we can do the first in a week, the second in ~6 years.  Even
>given Moore's Law it is going to take quite a few years before we can break
>256 with brute fource in a human lifetime, much less in a reasonable time
>frame.  And that is a "weak" key for PGP.

I think you're understimating parallel computing power. At least, the DES encryption algorithm --with a 56 bit key--
was broken in just three days back in 1998 (22 hours in 1999). You can read the history at
http://www.eff.org/pub/Privacy/Crypto/Crypto_misc/DESCracker/

Xavi
---
 Out from the barrio, you hear my rhythm from your radio
 You feel the tunning of the world so soft and slow
 Turning you round and round.