PGP problems

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:05:08 -0700

Friday, August 04, 2000, 11:51:22 AM, xavier wrote:
> I think you're understimating parallel computing power. At least, the DES
> encryption algorithm --with a 56 bit key-- was broken in just three days
> back in 1998 (22 hours in 1999). You can read the history at
> http://www.eff.org/pub/Privacy/Crypto/Crypto_misc/DESCracker/

    I am aware of that.  Read my message and you'll note what I said is 100%
accurate.  When DES was last cracked it would have taken them about a week to
exhaust the entire keyspace.  I didn't say it took them a week.  They hit the
key early, is all.  Secondly, look at the numbers again.  I am well aware of
what dnet does given that I have both my work machines, two of my three
home machines checking keys (the last, a 586-100 only doing 100kps being too
slow to waste the power on keys now) and check my stats daily.  Even with all
that the 64 bit key has been going for 2.75 years, will take another 3.6 years
to exhaust all key space /at the current rate/ (didn't mention that last time)
and that a 256 key is 6.27710173539e+057 larger than a 64 bit key.

    Trust me, I am not underestimating the power of parallel computing, you're
just underestimating the sheer size of the keyspace.