PGP problems

Froggyball pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:47:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Steve Lamb wrote:

> Friday, August 04, 2000, 2:52:13 PM, David wrote:
> > I fear that long before even one per cent of e-mail users have even heard of
> > PGP never mind started to use it  my miserable existence will have ended in
> > some godforsaken Gulag ...
>
>     I do believe I have finally found a person who has never heard of
> "Self-fulfilling prophecy".  I believe that if everyone who thought the way
> you did got off their ass and used it instead of making up excuses that more
> than 1% would be achieved tomorrow.

It won't work. In this instance, I can't do it without "the rest of the
world's" cooperation. This is not like, for example, taking the car less,
riding your bike or shutting off unused lights to save energy, etc.

As I said before, even if I send out 100% of my e-mails encrypted,
approximately 100% of the people I normally communicate with would refuse
to install/use PGP, even assuming they knew how to, so I would simply be
wasting my time. I could put up a web page, I could send them all detailed
instructions on how to do it, I could offer to go over and install PGP for
them. They would still refuse, I am sure! I have no blackmail material to
force them to do it.

The only way it would work is if I keep badgering ALL the mail program
developers to make PGP ON and installed by default. However, again, since
people who think that PGP is necessary would make a minority of their
customer base, it would be unlikely again...

Sorry, I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

(Nor do I care. Not yet anyways. I do not want anyone reading my e-mail,
nor do I think it is appropriate for them to do so, but I cannot envision
any harm or embarassment or loss of reputation from anyone doing so
either. And what does this have to do with freedom???? As far as I know,
at least in this country, I can run out on the street and shout almost
anything I want without persecution. Anything I personally care say in
private, I can say in public without fear of censor or imprisonment).

Isaac