PGP problems

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 05 Aug 2000 14:39:07 -0300 (ADT)

On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 18:12:21 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>and you really need a long pass phrase to get the equivalent number of
>bits of entropy as the 128 bit cypher. I think that 80 characters or
>more is needed to ensure this, so think about your pass phrase length!

Wow, really? Where did you get this info? I always thought my
passphrase was pretty long (it's a pain to type it!) but maybe it's
not long enough...

I have read that much shorter passphrases are quite sufficient for
real world protection. I've seen sites that offer methods for picking
passphrases which suggest that 4 or 5 random small words are
sufficient.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor