OT: Email BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Hartmann pmmail@dmiyu.org
Tue, 05 Dec 2000 12:21:19 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 09:58:14 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    Yes.  If someone had a mail loop somewhere.  The classic mail loop is when
>someone decides to set up a vacation notification (completely stupid thing to
>do, BTW, screams "ROB ME!") which replies to a mailing list that they are on.
>They get a message, they send vacation notice to the list, the list propagates
>the message to them, repeat.

I have run into those, but I don't see how that could work in a case
like this.

>    Again, call your ISP, let them handle it.  Ever ISP worth their salt has
>an admin on duty 24/7, even the regional mom & pops.  I've worked at the
>regionals and am now a cog in a large national.  I was one of those admins at
>the regional and here we have a full admin staff for such problems on 24/7 (3
>people minimum I think) with the rest of the regular admin staff on call 24/7.
>If the person you contact can't do anything, demand to talk to someone who can
>because there is someone who can either on site or on call.

Thanks, I need to be much more proactive and demanding on this. I
have the cellphone number of their security guy from the last time. I
did call him, about 1/2 way through, but I should have called him a
couple of more times over the weekend because the block did not get
put on until late Monday morning (or there just weren't any more).

I also realize that I need to ask for higher up immediately, the
people that answer the phone try to be helpful, but are worthless.

After I got the block I ask them to just nuke the mail box, but there
was no practical way to go through them all. In the 5 minutes that I
was on the phone he could not even bring up an index of the message
on his system. Anway he ends up spending 30 minutes to delete about
300 messages and realizes that work and passes on to a high level.
But 12 hours later that had still not been done until I called agin.

I also see that my other mistake was focusing on the other end. The
next time I will just send them the spamcop report, but immediate go
to my ISP to block this.

Thanks, this is helpful.

Bill Hartmann

Lake Tapawingo, MO (near Kansas City)