OT: Email BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Morrison pmmail@dmiyu.org
Tue, 05 Dec 2000 18:42:21

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:28:53 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>Tuesday, December 05, 2000, 10:21:19 AM, Bill wrote:
>> I also see that my other mistake was focusing on the other end. The
>> next time I will just send them the spamcop report, but immediate go
>> to my ISP to block this.
>
>    Yeah.  There are times that reporting to the other end from your user
>perspective is the right thing to do.  Usually in DOS which has an effect on
>your ISP's systems in some manner it is better to work from this end and let
>them handle the rest.  Glad there was some good information in there for ya.

The more I read about this, the happier I am that my ISP delivers mail
by smtp by default. I run weasel as my MTA, it can check the RBL, the
RBL DUL, the From: address (whether the domain resolves) and the ORBS
database. In addition I have a filter program that can be told to keep
or reject depending on the header contents. Since I've been using this,
my spam level has been falling quite rapidly. I still have problems
with uu.net (and similar) dialup hosts, but it isn't hard to reject
based on subject or the smtp envelope From: address not resolving, so I
don't see much.

I just hope I can get something similar to work under Linux when I
start to use that as my dialup server...

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails