CJK Display

S Zaveloff pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:04:38 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 02:34:16 -0700, Keith Russell wrote:

>Can anyone tell me how to display double byte character sets in
>PMMail? Is anyone using PMMail to read Korean, Chinese, or Japanese?
>Is it even possible?
>
>I used a Korean email program to send a message which is displayed
>properly in Agent, The Bat!, and Becky! In PMMail, I got nothing but
>garbage....

I, too have been wanting to be able to do this since I do a
considerable
amount of work involving Japanese. There were a couple of utilities
available at the old PMMAIL Website that said they would allow the
display of Japanese but I was never able to get them to work.

Actually you are not getting garbage, the coding is there. It just
won't
display properly. Right now I am using a kludge. There is a freware
program (available at Hobbes) called JLIST, which is an OS/2 port of
a unix program. You can use it to view the message and read the
Japanese. I do this by dragging the text (using DragText) to the
desktop
and dropping it on the program. You can also use it to open the text
like
an editor. This works with all coding variations.

I sometimes have occasion to use the Japanese version of OS/2. When
I use PMMAIL there, it still will not display the Japanese properly if
it is
JIS, which is the Internet standard for Japanese. However, stangely
enough, if someone makes a mistake and uses Shift-JIS, the Japanese
displays perfectly.

HTHAL

***** Please note new e-mail address *****
Steven H. Zaveloff			  zaveloff@isp800.com
P.O. Box 200203			     Tel: (512)219-7142
Austin, Texas 78720-0203		     Fax: (707)988-8694