Addresses

Dave Serls pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 05 Jul 2000 06:13:58 -0600

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 07:45:27 -0400, Jonathan B. Bayer wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Jul 00 22:58:18 +0700, Dr. Jeffrey Race wrote:
>
>>Concerning the problem of going out of business, if you choose
>>the one-time trouble of going to an eternal e-mail address, you
>>have some good choices e.g.
>>
>> IEEE offers a permanent address; they are not likely to disappear
>
>Don't you have to be a member?
>
>> My university offers its alums a permanent address; it has been
>>  around over 350 years and is still going strong.
>
>Not useful if you either didn't graduate from a university or it
>doesn't offer the service.
>
>Don't get me wrong, these are still good suggestions.  But in each case
>there are potential problems.

  Very early on, for no specific reason, I obtained a geographical domain.
   No fee after registration (unless they've forgotten me).
   I've had the MX records changed to point to two new ISPs over the
   years (they are both still in business; just not the end-user business).
   Drawback:  it's not transferrable outside the denver metro area (most likely
   conforming to the telephone LATA -- largest in the nation).

   Dave