Fwd: RE: Newsletter Technical Feedback

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:28:19 -0700

Friday, July 14, 2000, 9:21:44 AM, Dave wrote:
> Which is far as it goes but what character is represented by 0x9F varies
> from character set to character set... So even if the link is 8 bit
> transparent the end result still might not be what you expect. Best to
> stick to 7 bit as those are the only characters (almost) cast in stone.

    That is why QP is a part of the MIME set which defines which code page the
message was written in and, in theory, which code page it should be displayed
in.

    To put it another way.  I'd much rather have the following alphabet in
Latin-3 without the mangling than in the current Latin-1 mangled form:

A B C CX D E F G GX H HX I J JX K L M N O P R S SX T U UX V Z

Or...

A B C C^ D E F G G^ H H^ I J J^ K L M N O P R S S^ T U U^ V Z

Or...

A B C ^C D E F G ^G H ^H I J ^J K L M N O P R S ^S T U ^U V Z

Or...

A B C CH D E F G GH H HH I J JH K L M N O P R S SH T U UH V Z

    Me, just give it to me with the accents, please.  Now to figure out how to
get Star Office to write in Latin-3.