Requiem

Chris Adams pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:46:18 -0700

> It _is_ kind of a shame to watch the gradual fade-out
> of PMMail, which has been my client of choice since
> one of the earliest OS/2 releases. Sigh.

What really bothers me is how few alternatives there are on any platform. In
many ways, PMMail is still the best email client available, with the
arguable exception of the The Bat. I've spent the last couple days testing
IMAP clients on Windows and have been continually amazed about how bad they
are.

Outlook is bloated, slow, unstable, extremely feature-poor and even basic
operations simply do not work. Deleting a message only to see it resurrected
on the next fetch (5-8 times in a row, with a "Purge Deleted Messages" each
time) was enough to make me try Netscape.

Messenger also sucks, but differently - it's not really IMAP compliant and
you frequently need to use the Work Online/Offline toggle to get it to
reopen the connection to the server. I also have a particularly strong
hatred for their keyboard shortcut system.

There's always Eudora, but I really don't like the interface. Ditto The Bat,
and it doesn't really support IMAP either.

Does anyone know of a mail client on any platform which supports IMAP well
and has a well-polished interface that doesn't use MDI?