Requiem

David Gaskill pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:18:27 +0100

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:05:39 -0400, Michael Baum wrote:

>It _is_ kind of a shame to watch the gradual fade-out of PMMail,
>which has been my client of choice since one of the earliest OS/2
>releases. Sigh.
>
>Of course, I suppose one doesn't actually _need_ constant updates
>and support of a favorite program. Except for the unsettling
>persistence of _really_ annoying bugs like that HTML O'Death
>phenomenon, or the peculiar Attachment-That-Gradually-Corrupts-
>the-BAG-file bug or ...Three

Like you I was one of the first users of PMMail and I don't really care
if it is never updated again. As you suggest the bugs that remain are
merely minor irritations.

Steve did once explained to me what IMAP is but I'm afraid I have
forgotten and anyway I seem to manage perfectly well without it.

I have never understood why  BSW took PMMail on in the first place;
sales of the OS/2 version must be absolutely minuscule and there is no
hope of significant sales to the Windows market without a huge
investment in promotion and even then it is difficult to see how a
reasonable return on this investment could be achieved.

All they have got is a crowd of existing users clamouring for updates
and fixes which would cost a great deal more than the revenue they
would generate.

Anyway, I am perfectly happy with it as it is but I would be rather
surprised if it was still being supported in any meaningful way in a
year's time.

David