Requiem

Chris Adams pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:07:04 -0700

> The vast majority of e-mail I receive is written on Outlook Express. For
the
> overwhelming majority of corporate and private users this application is
perfectly
> satisfactory. To persuade people to spend money on a mail client rather
than use a
> generally satisfactory free one is going to need considerable promotional
effort and
> that costs lots of money.

I have to completely disagree with this. We would buy an acceptable email
client for the entire office in a heartbeat. OE does not have acceptable
IMAP support, has numerous security problems, doesn't do filtering for IMAP,
and is buggy with numerous inconsistencies and hangs.

Netscape is worse.

Eudora is better in many ways but doesn't even do some simple things like
checking for mail in your IMAP subfolders! We're still looking at paying the
$40/head it would take to get Eudora licenses. (Alternately, you can use
Eudora completely free if you don't mind an ad in the left corner of the
window).

At least for IMAP users (which is very common in the corporate environment),
there isn't a single good client on the market. OE is widely only because it
comes with the operating system and has a level of suckiness which is about
the same as the competition. If there was a single profession-quality email
client on the market, it would probably do very well indeed.