Filter for crashing emails

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:20:11 -0700

Monday, June 19, 2000, 9:51:53 AM, Alexander wrote:
>> My understanding of this /warning message/ is that delete is the final
>> action performed.

> That's definitly NOT so. I filter for spam (to delete it) before some other
> filters are applied and they still do their job!

    OK, lemme jump in here.  I've not been following the thread so if I am way
off base I admit it now.  I just want to explain filtering as it relates to
move/delete having been one of the people who tested that behavior w/Bob &
Ike.  Also keep in mind this is as of my last experience with PMMail which
was, oh, a good year ago.  I'll do it by example.

    In the First example we have two filters which would act upon a message.
Filter one marks the message as read.  Filter two moves the message to folder
"blah".  The end result is that the message is moved and marked unread.

    In the second example we have two filters which would act upon a message.
Filter one moves the message to folder "blah".  Filter two marks the
message as read.  In this example the message will be moved but not marked
read.  This is because, as the warning states, moving prevents further
filtering of that message to occur.  My conjecture is that is because it no
longer exists in the incoming folder and, as such, cannot be acted upon.

    The third example is a filter which has two actions.  The first action
marks a message as read.  The second action moves the message to the folder
"blah".  The result is a message in the folder "blah" that is marked read.

    The fourth example is a filter which has two actions.  The first action
moves the message to the folder "blah".  The second action marks a message as
read.  The result is a message in the folder "blah" that is marked read.  This
may seem unexpected but that is how it works.  I'm not sure why the wording of
the warning is as such but all actions of a filter /are/ performed, even if it
comes after a move.  I think this is because even though the message may be
moved the new location is known to that filter.

    As for deletes they are most likely nothing more than a move with the
trash folder set as the folder to move.  At least, that is how I would program
it.  ;)  Anyway, they are functionally identical to moves in every way except
for the true deletes check.  To really go out on a limb and, IIRC, PMMail was
programmed in C++ and it would not surprise me in the least if delete wasn't
just an object that inherited methods from delete, has trash set as the folder
from the offset and modifies the behavior of one method to make the true
delete check.  Of course, if they were programming more functionally then
move would have a check in it and have the code for the true delete in there
based on that check.  Go fig.  :)