PGP Encryption

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:39:28 -0400 (AST)

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 07:35:49 +0000 (GMT), Brian Morrison wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:38:42 -0800 (PST), John M Price, PhD wrote:
>
>>The message should be encrypted with the sender's key for the sent-mail
>>folder, or left in plain text.
>
>This is very dangerous, I feel that PMMail should respect the settings
>in pgp.cfg rather than forcing the encryption to self. In the UK, new

This is a valid point. I always assumed that encrypting the message
to yourself was a good idea, since it would be unreadable by you
afterwards if it was *not* encrypted to yourself, as well as the
recipient. However, I see now that the truly paranoid or truly
persecuted might worry that Big Brother will confiscate their
computer and read mail they have sent.

I also see that the pgp.cfg file has this option (encrypt to self)
set to 'off' by default but that PMMail ignores this (on OS/2
anyway). I will mention this to the developer.

>If a recipient has multiple keys on the key ring for a given addressee
>it does not allow one to chose the key to be used. It really should do
>this.

I don't really understand this. Why would a person want multiple PGP
keys for one email address? I'm sure there is a good reason I just
need an explanation with a real world example.

--
 Trevor Smith          | Most of humanity has always been
 trevor@haligonian.com | insane, at least some of the time.