TZ

Larry Ebbitt pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 05:27:03 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:42:20 +0000 (GMT), Simon Bowring wrote:

>However, I believe Linux is still able to work in the "more correct",
>traditional Unix UTC/GMT mode you describe, but I'm not sure its
>the default mode of operation anymore!

When I installed my RH5.2, I was given the option.  For the reasons you state,
I chose to keep on local time, but, with my CRS, I don't recall the details.

The same situation exists with mainframes that run MVS.  One is supposed
to keep the TOD clock on UCT and use an offset for local time.  This has
the advantage of not needing an IPL to change the time twice a year, but
most shops I've seen still keep local time in the TOD clock.

A pox on the idiots who force us to use DST.

Larry  -  Atlanta / OS/2

DISCLAIMER:  In the case that I contradicted something else I said
in this or some other post, the verbiage that is correct will override
the incorrect verbiage and the incorrect verbiage will be void!