Time Settings was PMMail/2 closes unexpectedly

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:53:23 +0000 (GMT)

>Could this have something to do with the TZ variable being a recent
>addition to the CONFIG.SYS and thus programs built earlier had no choice
>but to assume local time from the RTC?

!!!! The RTC is and should be set to local time under OS/2!!!!

TZ (and timezones in general) are *not supported* by the OS/2 operating
system at all, it has no internal representaion of local and UTC times
(show me the system calls if you wuish to agrue this one!),

The TZ environment variable is used by the the C programming
language time functions in the C runtime library (RTL), and
all C compilers since 16 bit DOS and OS/2 1.x days have supported
the TZ environment variable, so it is not new by any measure!

IBM only started "publishing" info about TZ under OS/2 when tcp/ip
was shipped as standard (since these programs are ported from unix,
are written in C, and most importantly some of them (mail and news)
care about the timezone - they therefore rely on the TZ envirnment
variable.)

Note only certain applications require the TZ to be correctly
set - ones that have to deal with multiple timezomnes - such
applications include news and mail.

Simon B.