TZ

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 13:49:25 -0400 (AST)

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:16:01 +0000 (GMT), Simon Bowring wrote:

>This wouldn't be sufficient, the clock drievr has no idea what use
>the application is going to use the time for - different calls within
>the same app may require different behaviour, and hey, nothing is really

OK, here's a question. As I understand it, most OS/2 programs are not
allowed to access the hardware directly, right? So none of these apps
are directly querying the RTC are they? There must be *some* low
level service provided by the OS/2 kernel or something that is
actually querying the RTC, no?

For example, if an application was written in compiler X and compiler
X uses some API call like:

DosGetTime()

or whatever, to get the RTC time, what is *really* going on? Surely
OS/2 has to be involved somewhere along the line there. I know you
said there was no way to change any universal file or API or whatever
in OS/2 Simon, but I need further explanation about how these apps
can be accessing things in such an independent way, considering the
insulation from hardware that I thought OS/2 was supposed to provide.

>broken, it just isn't very good (and doesn't work the way people
>with unix experience imagine it does).  Putting in a lot of effort to
>provide a complex and highly dodgy fix for something that's not
>really broken would be likely to cause more problems than it fixes!

True. I agree.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6