PGP bug; Volunteering!

Andrew Webber pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 20:33:04 -0500

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:04:30, Brian Morrison wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:42:53 -0400 (AST), Trevor Smith wrote:
>>"I thought that the PGP SDK in PMMail 2000 could decrypt
>>with RSA keys but not encrypt or sign with them."
>>
>>Maybe this is the problem here. I'm not an expert on
>>this. Jimmy?
>
>This is definitely the case, PMMail 2000 can deal with DH
>keys for all operations, but cannot sign or encrypt with
>RSA keys, this is all tied up with patent disputes with
>RSA over the algorithm which is why RSA was taken out of
>the newer implementations of PGP. The RSA function is
>still in the International versions, but these are not
>compatible with PMMail 2000.

Simon says "I use PGP 2.6.3i and PMMail/2 2.10.1999", so I take it
PMMail2000 will not encrypt messages to him or to other people use
PGP 2.6.3i?  Is this a correct conclusion from what you said?  The
message I get when I try to send Simon an encrypted message is,
"unimplemented public key operation".

Could/should PMMail be testing that when I try to save the key,
rather than saving a key it can't use?

And is there a workaround, other than not sending Simon encrypted
email?

What about my problem sending a message to JBB?  After saving his
emailed key, I still get "you do not have a public key for [JBB]".

Now another strange thing is happening.  I sent someone else my
public key and he sent me an encrypted email.  He's a
non-PMMail-user, and I believe he uses a copy&paste method to
encrypt his email (rather than a lookOut plug-in).

In the preview window, all I see is the following.

Hello Andrew,
=FF
Lets see if this encryption trick actually works!
=FF
=FF
- -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: PGP Personal Privacy 6.0.2
=FF
qANQR1DBwU4DhROL44ZSRfIQCADH [...]

If I double-click and open the message, I still see the gibberish.
The only way I could find to decrypt the message is to click
"reply" (with the message open or not), at which point I'm prompted
for my passphrase (the first time) and the message decrypts, quoted
as a reply, but with a popup saying, "ascii armor input
incomplete".

This really doesn't feel right.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

andrew [awebber@wwwebbers.com]
- ------
for PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject
current local weather: http://cnn.com/WEATHER/html/OttawaOntario.html