Life after PMMail

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:52:17 +0000 (GMT)

>Hm ... yes, a (very) good one, but in respect with PMMail, it has
>*better* HTML reading and *no* HTML new message editing capabilities.

Then it behaves correctly! Since HTML is a most inappropriate format
for "rich text" emails, for which there are <importantly>no internationally
agreed standards</importanly>.  HTML is *not* a document formatting
standard, it's a hypertext formatting standard. HTML is a most unsuitable
horse for for use in a rich text course!

If your really want "rich text", use a word processor agreed with
the party you are emailing and send the document attached (then it
stands a chance of looking the same the other end).

If you want to create and send web pages, use an HTML editor and send
the message as attachments.

If you want to send an engineering diagram, use autocad and send it
attached etc, etc.

Otherwise, send text - it's the only thing that's supported by all
email programs (you remember, words of text that anyone can view
properly in any email program? Doh, what would be the point of
that?)!

"Hey, my email doesn't support HTML properly", is like moaning your
email program doesn't support PDF properly - it's not bloody supposed
to, why should it? There are no standards to define what "supporting
HTML properly" means in the context of an email client, so no way that
any two email programs can support the "same" set of features?).  How
many other diverse and innappropriate document formats ought you email
package to support?

The twats from Netscape and Microsoft don't understand this, neither
will half the people respnding to this. HTML email is yet another
triumph of the form-over-function brigade of ignorant tossers.

Ever since this unpleasant HTML cat was let out of the bag, it has meant
illinformed consumers now demand the misfeature in mailers, making the
exchange of information harder for those that work according to the rules
that guarrantee the internet uhm, inter-works!

<Sigh>

Simon
"If you can't make it good, make it look good" - Bill Gates