Re[4]: Life after PMMail

Jonas T Larsson pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 00:16:21 +0200

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:54:21 -0400 (AST), Trevor Smith wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:32:15 +0200, xavier caballe wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately it does... specially when the message has some 'extended=
 characters' (i.e., accentued characters). It's a bug
>>present in all Windows PMMail versions. I reported it to both SouthSof=
t and Blueprint Software Works, but it has been never
>>fixed, although finally it has been confirmed.
>
>Are you 100% certain of this? I don't do the Windows tech support and
>rarely use the Windows version of PMMail, but I am amazed to hear
>this. Have you actually found the corresponding message on your hard
>drive and confirmed that PMMail has "modified" the text in some way
>after it left the POP server?
>
>>The problem is that under some circumstances, that are quite usual for=
 people that receives messages in other languages
>>different to English, the words are joined and some characters are del=
eted. The result is the text is broken.

There are more problems connected to this in PMmail. Quite often the
high ascii (extended chars, >127) is displayed wrong. ie it can be
displayed correctly in the preview pane but gets screwed up when
viewing it by double clicking. Chars gets major screwed up when either
escaping to an external editor or paste quoted. Have mailed PMmail
support atleast twice but still no answer. I am very reluctant to
change client but IMO it all depends on what timelines that comes out
(hopefully soon) since this is getting a bigger and bigger problem for
me. Solutions to escape to external programs (NS, IE) does to appeal to
me very much since this is just text, no pics or anything else. The
problem is in many ways the same with plain/text and text/html. I am
evaluating TB! at work but I would rather pick PMmail over it any day
if it could correctly display my msgs. For html in PMmail2000 would it
not be possible to "tap" into IE? The solution is of course far from
perfect in many ways but as an option it would at least correctly
display the html.

	// Yours Jonas
--
Jonas Larsson       ((     "Var liten r=E4ka
Tornav=E4gen 19:131   ))         ropa och kv=E4ka