Email Line Lengths

Michael Baum pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:20:02 -0500

>When PMMail appears in a small window on my Thinkpad, it displays 73
>characters.   If a quoted text arrives with natively longer lines, I
>will see a ragged edge, which is quite troublesome, as it is hard to
>read or alternatively I must maximize the window, which I sometimes
>find inconvenient due to other tasks being open.
>
>Therefore out of consideration for others I limit my outgoing mail to
>about 70 characters, so as to allow for quote symbols.    I hope
>others will show me the same consideration.

Dang! I had just changed my PMMail options to 72-character lines as
recommended by Messrs. Lamb and Bowring, and now the bar's been
dropped by another two characters! Where will it all end? We get
someone receiving these things on a @$%@% Palm Pilot, we're all in
trouble! :)

Oh, well, <70, check.

(I guess it would be tedious of me to point out that
paragraph-based formatting, which is what I was arguing for, would
eliminate the ragged lines that bother you? That's why I favor it.
Pace that quoting issue and the fossilized 1000-char limit from the
ARPANET days. No, you're right. It _would_ be tedious.)

- maab