don't like HTML email? here's your fix.

David Gaskill pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:43:27 +0100

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:41:13 +0200 (CED), Alexander Sarras wrote:

>This is the, after a long time of trying it friendly, rather rude (TM)
>canned reply, I use:

on me but I feel like living dangerously today...

Here in the UK, as in your country, local calls are charged. The exact
charge depends upon the time of day but is never more than a few US
cents a minute. There is in any case a minimum charge of approximately
8 US cents.

On my 56 K modem the difference in cost to download an Ascii e-mail
and an html formatted e-mail would be a tiny fraction of the cost of the
cup of coffee I am drinking as I compose this.

Your message could not of course be used by those that live in the
States where there is no charge for local calls.

The bandwidth and standards issue seems to be something of a holy war
rather than a logical argument. The anti-html e-mail crusade appears to
have as its objective the preservation of civilisation as we know it and
the sanctity of standards. (Next perhaps "TCPIP is an abomination - all
right-thinking citizens use Morse").

If the Internet is about to collapse under the rising tide of html e-mail
sending rude messages to those that use it is not likely to change the
course of history.

The fact is that more and more people are using html e-mail. It is also a
fact that Internet transmission times are in general falling not rising. The
provision of bandwidth is getting ever cheaper.

To advocate sending automatic rude responses to those that address you
using a format of which should disapprove seems to me to be about as
sensible as tearing up a letter written on a luxurious paper on the
grounds that this will preserve the rain forests.

An increasing amount of my business is Internet dependent and an
increasing proportion of e-mails I receive are in html format. (I consider
it courteous and hence good for business to reply in the same format).
You seem to be suggesting that I should reduce myself to penury by
insulted  my clients simply to preserve the purity of Internet standards.

I wonder who I phone to obtain 24 hour police protection ...