don't like HTML email? here's your fix.

Alexander Sarras pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:22:15 +0200

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 05:09:07 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 01:43:27PM +0100, David Gaskill wrote:
>> On my 56 K modem the difference in cost to download an Ascii e-mail
>> and an html formatted e-mail would be a tiny fraction of the cost of =
the
>> cup of coffee I am drinking as I compose this.
>
>    Economics of scale.  1 message with an extra 12k of crap isn't much=
.  400
>messages of an extra 12k is a lot.  Something approaching a Mb which is=
, what,
>15 minutes on your modem?  Now, multiply that per day and you get a nic=
e sum
>of, oh, an extra $4-5/month for you.
>
>    For what?  No added functionality at all and, generally, a complete=

>waste.
>
>> The bandwidth and standards issue seems to be something of a holy war=

>> rather than a logical argument. The anti-html e-mail crusade appears =
>> have as its objective the preservation of civilisation as we know it =
and
>> the sanctity of standards. (Next perhaps "TCPIP is an abomination - a=
ll
>> right-thinking citizens use Morse").
>
>    The point is just because it is there doesn't mean there is a use f=
or it.
>There is a clear difference between TCP/IP and morse code, a clear
>technological advancement.  There is, quite simiply, NONE, when it come=
s to
>HTML in email.

Nothing much to add, but to things:

1.  when doing only email on a 28.8 Modem and getting only 20% of
HTML-mail, it almost doubles the cost (did it for me, in fact, so if
you enjoy that I'll print this on a nice colorful paper put it in a 2kg
parcel and send it to you label "postage paid by recipient", Maybe
everyone on that list who=B4s opposed to HTML-mail should join in ;->)

2. I never ever had to put out a contract. Normally I get paid for
taking them ;->

SaS
- --
       Dr. Alexander Sarras         |     * Trouble * IS my middle name!=

  www.sarras.at     mail@sarras.at  |           The TroubleShooter